Sunday, July 8, 2012

Re-Upholstering Puzzles - Part 2

The second chair we found at an estate sale needed serious help as it was straight from the 1980s... or at least had the look...

Again, we went to JoAnn's and found some fabric and started on the project. This time around, I made sure to take as many pictures as possible, even if I didn't look back at them to reference, at least I had them. In this chair, we also decided to change it a bit and take off the skirt at the bottom and just have the fabric wrap under the chair. That took a little extra time, trying to figure out how to attach it together without making it look obvious that we changed it. I ended up using nail trim/decorative brads, on the corners and up the back.

Horrid tack strips on each side


One of the biggest problems I came across was using the tack strips that were on the chair originally. Every time I tried to put them back in, the metal teeth bent and/or broke off and therefore were rendered useless... such a PITA. This is where the decorative nail trim came in, other than the fact that they were extremely hard not to break when you try to nail them in.






All in all, I would definitely do another chair (actually I am, but this one won't be for me). Seeing something in your home that you made definitely makes you feel proud and I always want to show it off! (Found the stool at another sale and recovered it in matching fabric (actually the cording of the chair).

Ta-DA!! 



I also made a pillow to coordinate with the chair, using the same fabric since I had so much left over. I found this courtesy of Pintrest, called Make It and Love it and now this site has become my go-to for projects. The link can be found here: Pleated Pillow Tutorial. The pillow in total took just a few hours and was so simple to do!






No comments:

Post a Comment