Friday, July 13, 2012

Library Tote

When we moved here a few years ago and joined the local library, we were told about a program called "Raise a Reader" in which children 0-24 mths are eligible to receive a new book (so far, all board books) each month. When we signed up Ava for the program, she was given a new tote bag that we could put our books in when we came to check out new ones. Since Aiden is the only one checking out the books these days, he is using the tote.... and some of the kids books are HUGE! We were getting to the point where we could only fit a few books in the tote at a time, and had to put the rest in my purse just to carry them home. It was also difficult for Aiden to put his books back in the bag once he was done reading them because the bag was so small. Enter Make It and Love It . I've mentioned this site before and I can't get enough of her projects - she makes great tutorials! I found this bag and thought it was perfect for our Library books!

I made one minor addition to the bag; a little pocket for our library card. I'm always fumbling for the card when it comes time to check out since I've got Aiden, Ava and a load of heavy books, so I figured it made sense to add it to the bag. In mine, I attached the pocket with Velcro since I forgot to sew it in place before I finished the bag in case I needed to take it out. I used a canvas/duck cloth for the exterior because it's much stronger than regular fabric and the books usually get very heavy. So what do you think?

The finished bag

Nice, large opening to fit his BIG books

Card Holder

Interior

1 comment: