Friday, July 6, 2012

Re-Upholstering Puzzles - Part 1

As I mentioned before, my husband and I have recently become obsessed with estate sales (him more than me, but I'm always up for finding a good deal...) About 2 years ago, we moved from a small bungalow into a larger 2-story home to accommodate our growing family. Because it was our first home, we had the typical "hand-me-down" furniture and a LOT of Ikea things (one of our favorite stores). We were looking for new things to fill in our empty spaces and help decorate and found that a lot of the newer pieces aren't the best quality... enter estate sales. The older "vintage" furniture is much much better quality and you can get things for much less than paying for new. Here are a few things we've found and the "updates we've (I've) made to them.
We found this red wing-back piece at a sale where everything was sold and it was the only thing left...

For $15 we had to snatch it up!

It was faded but the bones were still good. Once we got it home and started tearing it apart, we found it was a Lazy-Boy piece from Art Van (okay, I know, it's not exactly old, but we had to start somewhere). I researched a few places online on how to re-upholster and it didn't seem TOO difficult, and figured my Engineer husband could help me figure out the more challenging pieces. Once I tore the chair apart, the most important thing I realized was to TAKE PICTURES of every thing you take off and label, label, label.

Only 1 of 2 pictures I actually took... excuse the mess

For this chair... I didn't do that, and it took a lot longer than it probably should have. After about a week, it was finally completed and we're pretty happy with the outcome! We updated it with a pretty red fabric we found at JoAnn's, and for my first ever re-upholster, I don't think it's too bad! After finishing this chair, we realized, re-upholstering is essentially a puzzle... everything fits in a certain spot. As long as you keep track of all the pieces, label and keep them in separate piles, everything will go back together the exact same way... I'll continue to show the items we've purchased and updated coming soon!

Sorry for the bad lighting/angle... we don't have the best camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment